This is what we live for!We are all excited here at the farm to kick off our CSA season with the first shares going out to members this weekend.
It always amazes me when June rolls around and we find ourselves back at the beginning of the harvest season. Every year is unique. There are so many factors that are at play, especially here on such a small farm. We have had many successes already and are looking forward to sharing them with you and your families.
Many thanks and much gratitude to all of our members for making this connection from our farm to your home. The boxes will be full of the best of our harvest and we encourage and challenge all of you to find ways to make the most of your box. By adding fresh fruits and veggies to every meal, planning your meals around your produce and trying some new ideas you will be eating in a way that is not only healthy for your body but also the best for our planet. This is the future of food and the path to a sustainable food system! Thank you for being a part of it, whether through our CSA or by stopping by the farm stand.
This weeks box:
zucchini and summer squash
Oven Roasted Potatoes & Leeks
- 2 lbs. Potatoes, Russet, Red, or Golden
- 2-3 Leeks
- 4 cloves of Garlic - minced
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Water or Broth
- You can also add your favorite herbs and seasonings as well!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Clean the leeks, they are probably full of dirt! Cut and remove the deep, dark green portions (leaves) of your leeks and throw them away. Cut your leeks in half, lengthwise, and then cut into 1.5 inch portions. Fill a deep bowl with water and plunge the cut leeks in. Separate the half-rings and let them sit. The dirt will settle to the bottom.
- Rinse and cut your potatoes into 1.5 in chunks if large or use whole if they are small. Place them in a large roasting pan.
- Remove leeks from the water with hands and shake the excess water off of them.
- Add all ingredients to the potatoes and toss until well coated.
- Add your water or broth and cover with lid or aluminum foil.
- Cook for 30 minutes, Remove foil, Continue to cook for 15 minutes until potatoes are tender and beginning to turn golden.
Sesame Ginger Cabbage Salad
- 6 cups green cabbage (sliced in strips, about 1/2 large head of cabbage)
- 2 tbsps sesame seeds (toasted)
- 2 tbsps peanuts (or more)
- 2 tbsps rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp agave nectar (or honey)
- 1 clove garlic (minced or pressed)
- 1/8 tsp ginger (grated)
- OPTIONAL – few drops of favorite hot sauce
We are pleased to be able to include in the share boxes a basket of sweet berries grown by Farmer Max out in Freedom. He has an amazing outdoor hydroponic operation that produces these wonderful fruit as well as blackberries, peppers and tomatoes. This hydroponic method wastes zero water and of course is not sprayed at all so environmental impact is as minimal as it gets! We have partnered with Max to create another connection for small-scale local farmers to support each other and feed our community. Enjoy!
If you have a garden at home and have been meaning to get a tomato plant into the ground, this weekend is the perfect time. Come by our farm stand to pick up FREE TOMATO PLANTS! We really would like to see these guys go to a good home. The farm stand will also be stocked up with lots of other good things as well, like potatoes, leeks, kale, flowers and plenty of zucchini and summer squash.
CSA REGISTRATION still taking place!
How does it work?
We are still accepting registration for members to begin receiving shares in July. Our program runs in 8 week sessions and you may join at any time. Membership fees will be pro-rated accordingly. You will pay in advance for your session, and then receive your weekly share box once your session begins.
Pick up days are Friday after 2:30 pm
Deliveries are made on Fridays in a fuel efficient Prius and will be at your home by 7 pm.
How much does it cost?
$200 - Basic Produce Box ($25/week pick up at farm)
$240 - With flowers ($5/week)
+$40 - With delivery ($5/week)
+$80 - With Hidden Fortress Farm Add-On ($10/week) options include sustainable coffee, jam and muffins and hand crafted apple cider vinegar
Add-On with delivery - 50% off delivery fee!
Returning CSA members take 5% off your Produce box (before Add-On and delivery fees)